Already a Fandango VIP? Sign In 'Straight Outta Compton': Who's Playing Who in the N.W.A. Members Ice Cube, Dr. Dre, Eazy-E, DJ Yella and MC Ren are finally getting the biopic treatment, along with some of their famous friends and rivals from the early West Coast rap scene. Meet nine music icons featured in the film, and the.
|Straight Outta Compton|
|Directed by||F. Gary Gray|
|Produced by||Ice Cube|
F. Gary Gray
|Written by||Scott Marshall Smith|
|Screenplay by||Jonathan Herman|
|Story by||S. Leigh Savidge|
|Starring||O'Shea Jackson, Jr.|
Neil Brown, Jr.
|Music by||Joseph Trapanese|
|Edited by||Billy Fox|
|Distributed by||Universal Pictures|
|August 11, 2015|
(Los Angeles premiere)
August 14, 2015
|Box office||$80.2 million|
Straight Outta Compton is a 2015 American biographical movie. It was directed by F. Gary Gray and it was produced by Ice Cube, Tomica Woods-Wright, Matt Alvarez, F. Gary Gray, Scott Bernstein, and Dr. Dre. Straight Outta Compton was released on August 14, 2015. The movie is about the Comptonhip hop group N.W.A and it follows the group through their rise and fall.
The movie got positive reviews from critics. It has a 89% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.Movie criticRichard Roeper of the Chicago Sun-Times gave the movie 3.5 stars out of 4 and called it 'one of the better musical biopics of the last 20 years.' Roeper said that the movie was 'enthralling' and 'energized' and he praised the cast for delivering 'strong, memorable work that transcends mere imitation.'
- O'Shea Jackson, Jr. as Ice Cube
- Corey Hawkins as Dr. Dre
- Jason Mitchell as Eazy-E
- Aldis Hodge as MC Ren
- Neil Brown, Jr. as DJ Yella
- Paul Giamatti as Jerry Heller
- Marlon Yates Jr. as The D.O.C.
- Corey Reynolds as Alonzo Williams
- Alexandra Shipp as Kimberly Woodruff
- Angela Elayne Gibbs as Doris Jackson
- Bruce Beatty as Hosea Jackson
- Lisa Renee Pitts as Verna Young
- Keith Stanfield as Snoop Dogg
- R. Marcus Taylor as Suge Knight
- Sheldon A. Smith as Warren G
- Carra Patterson as Tomica Woods
- Elena Goode as Nicole Threatt
- Keith Powers as Tyree Crayon
- Mark Sherman as Jimmy Iovine
- Camryn Howard as DJ Speed
- Cleavon McClendon as Sir Jinx
- Rogelio Douglas, Jr. as Chuck D
- Steve Turner as Keith Shocklee
- Tyron Woodley as T-Bone
- LaDell Preston as Shorty
- Jordan Can as J-Dee
- J. Kristopher as Lay Law
- Stephanie Campbell as Charis Henry
- Marcc Rose as Tupac Shakur (voiced by Darris Love)
- ↑'Box office report: Straight Outta Compton dominates with $56 million opening'. Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2015-8-21.Check date values in:
- ↑'Straight Outta Compton'. Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 2015-8-21.Check date values in:
- ↑'Straight Outta Compton'. Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2015-8-21.Check date values in:
- ↑''Straight Outta Compton': Enthralling biopic puts N.W.A. in the tension of the times'. Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved 2015-8-21.Check date values in:
Other websites[changechange source]
- Straight Outta Compton on IMDb
It is a wonder, if in 20 years time we will still be enthused by the hip-hop and rap music being produced today. Are any of them really classics? Will we still want to crank that Soulja Boy and 'super man dat hoe', in say 5 years? Okay, not the greatest example, but the point being, who now in this dire state of hip-hop will have made an impact musically, for us to care about in years to come? With the re-release of N.W.A.'s Straight Outta Compton, for its 20th Anniversary, the acknowledgment not only proves it's longstanding genius but allows new fans, who may only be aware of 50 Cent's dubious 'hell-raising' antics, to engulf themselves with the revolutionary sound that put gangsta rap on the map.
Originally released in 1988, Straight Outta Compton compelled the mainstream audience to see the hostile, underprivileged side to American living. N.W.A. did have an influential message. However, unlike Public Enemy’s rational Fight the Power ethos, these teenagers were angrily brazen about sticking up a middle finger while possibly waving a AK47 in the other hand, in their pursuit of free speech. With Dre and DJ Yella on productions, the tracks were written predominantly by Ice Cube, while Easy E and MC Ren contributed with delivering the rhymes. It would be the group's notorious mantra F**k The Police that would create the most mayhem, with radio bans and FBI investigations. Nevertheless, the album reached double platinum sales status, being the first to do without commercial support.
Straight Outta Compton
Highlights include, I Ain't the One, in which Cube hilariously confronts materialistic women, and, of course, Express Yourself. The only track not to use profanity.
Straight Outta Compton Free Full
Unfortunately, the added homage tracks by Snoop Dogg, Bone Thugs-N-Harmony's Mack 10, and WC seem futile and do not add value to this edition. In spite of this, it's still a great offering for those who missed it the first time around. And to improve the future, you must look into the past, as Dre proclaims: 'you are about to witness the strength of street knowledge...'